San Francisco, CA, USA
To design and implement awesome consumer-facing products in an exciting and fast-paced environment.
I have re-architected some of the world's leading Web sites, developed by hundreds of engineers, and used by hundreds of millions of users every month.
I have participated in the definition of aspects of the technical and products strategies of one of the largest Web companies in the world.
I have written code running on tens of thousands of servers, serving hundreds of thousands of requests per second.
I have participated in the design of Web technologies widely used around the Internet.
I have written Web standards and a book, and have given technical presentations to large audiences around the world.
I have proven over and over again that I am a valuable technologist and a leader who can tackle hard problems.
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Yahoo! is the world's largest global online network of integrated services with more than 700 million users worldwide.
Distinguished Architect, Flickr (2011-present)
- Software architecture and development for the world's largest photo sharing site, Flickr.
- Focus on Flickr core infrastructure, integration with partners and third parties (Apple, Bing, etc.), as well as serving performance for all of Yahoo!.
- One of about 20 Distinguished Architects at Yahoo!.
Chief Architect, Media (2008-2011)
- Architect for the Yahoo! Media group (Yahoo! front page, News, Sports,
Finance, Movies, Music, …) with more than 700 engineers worldwide. Leading a team of 20 architects.
- Led the re-architecture of all the sites end-to-end, going from 150+ code bases globally down to 1 modern stack, leveraging in particular Hadoop, NoSQL, and cloud-based systems.
- Chaired the company's engineering standards group, defining technology standards and development practices for the company.
- Member of the senior program committee for the company's technical conference in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
Web Services Architect (2006-2008)
- Wrote and evangelized best practices and tools for Web services development (both REST and SOAP).
- Architected and implemented an internal security mechanism for Web services calls, integrated with the company's infrastructure.
- Implemented the public authentication mechanisms for Yahoo! sites (BBAuth, OAuth, etc.)
Cambridge, MA, USA & Paris, France
W3C is the main international standards organization for the World Wide Web, founded and headed by Tim Berners-Lee.
Web Services Activity Lead (2001-2006)
- Responsible for leading and coordinating the technical work for Web services standardization.
- Designed Web standards (SOAP Version 1.2, Web Services Description Language (WSDL) 2.0, Web Services Addressing 1.0, Web Services Architecture) in coordination with W3C Member companies (Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, …)
- Edited technical specifications defining those Web standards.
- Gave presentations and keynotes globally (USA, Brazil, Hong Kong, Japan, …)
- Led the Web Services and Semantics (WS2) project funded by the European Union, aimed at increasing European awareness and participation in Web services standardization efforts and organize work on Semantic Web Services.
Webmaster and System Administrator (1999-2000)
- Administered Unix servers (Linux, Solaris). Maintained and organized the first Web site created (tens of thousands of documents)
- Developed services and tools, including the W3C Link Checker
Hemel Hempstead, England
3Com is a digital electronics manufacturer best known for its computer network infrastructure products.
Software Engineer (1998-1999)
- Developed systems to test Ethernet switches for protocol and design specification compliance
Skills & Technologies
- Leadership skills for both large organization and small senior groups
- System design: highly scalable serving systems, large scale content management systems
- Web architecture and protocols: detailed HTTP knowledge, REST and SOAP services, HTML5/CSS3/JS, …
- Programming: C/C++, Perl, PHP, Python, some Java
- Agile development processes, continuous integration and deployment
- Languages: fluent in English and French; basis in German, Spanish, Japanese
Projects, Publications & Awards
References available upon request.