I have a bunch of concert reviews on my Web site (you can find out why) that I had originally written in plain HTML (well, XHTML) because I was lazy and I thought that it would make my system more portable in the future.
This list grew, and as I am very lazy, I became tired of having to move an entry from a list to another, add new headers, links, etc. Moreover, I had a chronological list, and I wanted also a list by band name, and decided and it would be beyond the limit of the maintainability of this system.
That's why I decided to try and encode the list in XML and use XSLT to generate the XHTML pages.
I wrote a DTD and an XML schema to define the format of my list of reviews, then encoded the list of reviews in this format.
I then wrote two XSLT stylesheets generating a chronological list and an alphabetical list using this XML list.
Now, using an XSLT processor, I can generate those two listings after having edited the main XML file. I wrote a makefile which uses Xalan to do this.
Here are the results, the list of concerts sorted:
If you want to see how it is done, here is the list of files I use:
The DTD, the XML schema and the stylesheets are copyright © 2000 Hugo Haas, and are hereby place in the public domain.
There are also older versions of those resources: